Dealing with a sink full of dishes left by the family can be frustrating, but when you’ve finally conquered the pile and the sink gurgles back at you, it can be downright maddening! Ever wondered why your kitchen drain is making those mysterious noises? Let’s explore what’s causing it and how you can put an end to the gurgling once and for all. (more…)
Fall is here… Winter is coming… will your home stay warm and cozy through it all? The key to a comfortable home during the changing seasons lies in a well-maintained HVAC system. After all, you invested in a furnace or HVAC system, so the following article will help you maximize your investment! You can enjoy a warm, worry-free home throughout the fall and winter when you use our ‘Handy’ tips to maintain your HVAC system.
There are several home-related tasks that are generally safe to tackle, such as clearing leaves from the eaves or fixing fences. However, when it comes to electrical work, there are certain tasks that should never be attempted without proper expertise. Below, we’ll outline some of these electrical jobs and the reasons why you should stop and consider professional help from Handyside before starting one. (more…)
While it might be called a garbage disposal, it’s important to note that not all kinds of ‘garbage’ should find their way down it. Feeding the wrong items into it can lead to bad smells, stubborn clogs, or even damage. While soft leftovers, vegetable scraps, and fruit peels are fair game for your disposal, here’s a list of 13 items that are better suited for your green bin, compost pile, or regular trash container. (more…)
Building on the success of our previous blog post, ‘Our Best Plumbing Tips For Your Home,’ where we shared practical advice to prevent common plumbing issues, we’ve delved deeper into the expertise of our Handyside plumbers. Here are seven additional tips to help you proactively care for your plumbing system. (more…)
You can’t see it. You can’t smell it. You can’t touch it. Carbon monoxide (CO), called the ‘silent killer,’ is a highly poisonous gas that is odorless and colorless and often goes unnoticed until it’s too late. It mixes with air and if breathed in, can cause brain damage or even death. The most common cause of a carbon monoxide outbreak in homes is an older furnace or appliance that is not burning the natural gas properly. Because of the high risk, every home with a gas furnace or gas appliances needs to have carbon monoxide detectors.
The kitchen contains some of the highest energy-consuming elements in your household. Discover our 5 ‘Handy’ tips to continue making great meals while saving some bucks. (more…)
It’s important to understand that HVAC encompasses more than just air conditioning. HVAC stands for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning. All three components play a vital role in making your home or business a comfortable environment. Your property is likely equipped with a range of HVAC appliances, making it essential to stay mindful of when these systems require inspection and maintenance.