The majority of fires stem from wiring malfunctions within homes or businesses. To help ensure your safety, here are FIVE warning signs that indicate the need for a thorough wiring inspection.
When you turn on your dishwasher or microwave, do you ever observe a flicker or gradual dimming of lights throughout your house when you activate your dishwasher or microwave? Conversely, do you notice the lights regain their normal brightness when these appliances switch off? While this phenomenon could signal a wiring issue, it’s more likely an indicator that your large appliances are drawing excessive power from their respective circuits. To prevent potential complications, it might be advisable to enlist the expertise of a Handyside professional who can reconfigure your circuits or upgrade your electrical panel.
We’re not addressing the common scents like your dog’s odor or the occasional burnt crumbs aroma stemming from your toaster if it never gets cleaned. Specifically, the smells you should be wary of are burning smells, like roasting plastic, arising from your outlets and fixtures. These odors should never be present under normal circumstances. Therefore, if you detect a persistent scent of this nature, it serves as a clear indicator that your wiring requires a comprehensive inspection. If you smell occasional burning in your home and struggle to identify the source, it may be your wiring as a potential culprit.
Hot to the Touch
Although some appliances naturally emit heat, it’s important to note that our wall outlets and light switches should not feel hot to the touch. While they might exhibit a slight warmth due to the flow of electrical current, they should never become uncomfortably hot. If you ever encounter this issue, it’s a strong indicator that something is amiss, particularly if you observe any scorch marks around the plug. In such cases, promptly power off and unplug the appliance, and seek the assistance of a Handyside professional to conduct a thorough inspection.
Old appliances can sometimes emit buzzing sounds, typically indicating that they are working diligently or nearing the end of their operational life. However, if you begin to hear buzzing emanating from your power outlets or even from your light bulbs when you switch them on, this signifies a more serious issue. It’s essential to be vigilant when your home should be quiet and, if you have concerns, periodically inspect your power outlets by listening closely and placing your ear nearby for examination.
You might have experienced instances where you inadvertently trip a circuit breaker in your home. Perhaps, when your dishwasher is running, you find yourself unable to operate your microwave or plug in smaller devices at specific outlets. This situation indicates a problem of overloading your circuits, which has the potential to lead to more substantial damage within your home. If you come across a tripped breaker even with relatively low power usage, it’s a clear indication of an underlying wiring issue that requires attention. In any case, an excessive flow of power somewhere is a common precursor to home fires and should not be ignored.